Friday 25 March 2016

REVIEW: THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE by Heidi Heilig

THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE by Heidi Heilig

Summary:
Nix has spent her entire life aboard her father’s ship, sailing across the centuries, across the world, across myth and imagination.

As long as her father has a map for it, he can sail to any time, any place, real or imagined: nineteenth-century China, the land from One Thousand and One Nights, a mythic version of Africa. Along the way they have found crewmates and friends, and even a disarming thief who could come to mean much more to Nix.

But the end to it all looms closer every day.

Her father is obsessed with obtaining the one map, 1868 Honolulu, that could take him back to his lost love, Nix’s mother. Even though getting it—and going there—could erase Nix’s very existence.

For the first time, Nix is entering unknown waters.

She could find herself, find her family, find her own fantastical ability, her own epic love.

Or she could disappear.

Title: THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE
Author: Heidi Heilig
Series: The Girl From Everywhere #1
Source: Purchased from Amazon
Publisher: Greenwillow
Publication Date: February 16, 2016
Rating: 3.5*
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21979832-the-girl-from-everywhere?from_new_nav=true&ac=1
Purchase:
I had a really hard time getting into this one to start. It took me about 25% to be hooked, but then I was and it got better as it went along. I had two main problems with it, but I generally liked it and will for sure be reading the sequel! I think Heilig has a good grasp on her niche genre and the characters are ones I really liked!


I had a bit of a hard time connecting to Nix because she seemed kind of blah and boring at the beginning. I think she grew as time went on -- especially when she was trying to determine whether or not to stay in Honolulu in the time period. However, I felt iffy about the fact that the decision was kinda based on which guy she wanted to be with. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that was the ONLY thing she was basing her decision off of, it just seemed to come at a time where she was ALSO deciding between guys and it was very off putting for me. But I did like her struggle to reconcile the past and the future because I think we are all somewhere in between where we are and where we should be in our lives. I mean, the stakes were MUCH HIGHER for Nix because there was a chance of her being erased from existence, but I still think we have all felt that way.

I also liked that she had a very unconventional relationship with her father. I think she wanted the validation of his love but also wanted to be independent. This is sort of how most teens feel: they want their parents to care but to also give them the space they need to become their own people. I also really liked that Nix bargained with him to learn how to Navigate! I thought that was really cool. It was almost like the time I bargained with my dad to get him to teach me how to drive haha. However, the best part of their relationship was how much Slate trusted Nix to make the right calls. I really liked his faith in her and allowing her to make the decisions because it gave them an interesting dynamic: he trusted she would get them where they needed to be, not necessarily where she wanted to be.

I didn't mind that there was a love triangle, per say, but it felt like it was very one-sided, almost to the point that I wasn't sure why the other love interest was included other than to serve as a reason Nix would want to stay in this time period. Also, Kash had such a bright personality, felt like a well developed character and so well-rounded, and Blake (I think? He did not stand out to me at all and thus I have already forgotten his name) had the personality of a wet paper towel. It was the typical bad boy versus perfect angel tbh and I wasn't here for it.

I would have liked a bit more of the Navigation and the actual time travelling. Much like with A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray, I was a little disappointed that we were stuck in one time and place for so long when there was the possibility to explore so much more. We just got a minimal taste of what there could have been for this adventure, so I am seriously hoping that there will be more in the next book!

Overall, this was an enjoyable read. There is lots to take away from this and I think everyone has that moment of "Should I stay or should I go?" panic that Nix feels. Also, Kash is just a wonderful addition to this novel so if you are looking for a swoony new book boyfriend and some adventure, this is a novel for you. And it doesn't end on a huge cliffhanger, so you can read this one and feel satisfied but also wanting more from the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment