Monday 15 February 2016

ARC REVIEW: 13 MINUTES by Sarah Pinborough

13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough



Title: 13 Minutes
Author: Sarah Pinborough
Publisher: Orion Publishing Group
Published: February 18th, 2016
Rating: 4.5 stars
Summary: I was dead for 13 minutes.


I don't remember how I ended up in the icy water but I do know this - it wasn't an accident and I wasn't suicidal.

They say you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but when you're a teenage girl, it's hard to tell them apart. My friends love me, I'm sure of it. But that doesn't mean they didn't try to kill me. Does it?


Thank you to the publisher who sent me an ARC!



I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. It was a very pleasant surprise! 13 MINUTES commanded your attention from the very beginning, with more twists and turns than a maze. Sarah Pinborough paints a perfect image of toxic relationships mixed with the emotions of college and a splash of murder. It was a deep and very unsettling read. 

Each character plays an important role in the story. The book is like a chessboard, the poor characters the pawns in a psychological game. Very easily this book could be marketed as adult, because it certainly didn't read like a normal YA novel. I can see adults enjoying this just as much (I am an adult and I loved it!) I wouldn't say that the lower end of the YA spectrum should read this. There is some sex mentioned in this book, and one graphic description (that personally made me giggle!)

I never expected that ending. I had to put the book down and stare at the wall for a little while because it was such a shock. Bravo, Sarah Pinborough! A marvellously crafted book. And it's made me consider reading more YA Thriller. Barely anything to fault!

So, 4.5 stars. Well worth reading if you want to give YA Thrillers a shot. A perfectly dark standalone book. 





1 comment:

  1. This sounds fantastic, Nicola! I've added it to my to read pile on GR! Thanks for reviewing and letting me know about it <3

    ReplyDelete